Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

THANK YOU to all the veterans who have served in the armed forces!  I had a very tangible reminder of the many who have given time from their lives to the various services today.  I took my mom to the cemetery to lay flowers (a local one, not a military one) and it was a sea of flags.  Each flag marked a veteran.  As I walked down the rows, I saw the names of men and women who served in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and current conflicts.  I pictured this same display in all the cemeteries throughout the United States and it seemed mind-boggling!  I also knew there were many others in that cemetery that were like my dad, not marked with a US flag as their service was for another country, but still veterans.

My dad was a career naval serviceman in the British Royal Navy until he retired, moved to the United States, and later became a proud US citizen.  Here's my dad:


And my Grandfather Lawrence was in the Black Watch, a military unit in Scotland.  He was gassed during WWI and my grandmom always felt he died of lung cancer (never smoked) because of that mustard gas.  Here he is:


So, again, thanks to all those who have served, who serve today, and who will serve in the future! Happy Veteran's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment